Sunday, August 13, 2006

I Eat Snake

No K don't get excited. Not that kind.

So last time Ari told me that there's this restaurant here that serves snake meat. So me and my two buddies go looking for the place. Ride all the way from north of Jogja to the south and we finally come to the place. But we don't know the exact location so we start asking around for directions. Again, we encounter the proud Indonesian of giving-a-nonsense-answer-to-appear-helpful-rather-than-admit-that-you-don't-know.

We ask around in the area for directions but the answers range from "I think its somewhere along this street" to more elaborate concoctions like "yeah there used to be one on this street but then it moved to this other place but its a bit far. It's near the train station. You take a left here and then a right, and then two more rights. It's next to a field with a statue in the middle of it." And in case anyone's wondering if I was confused because I don't understand Indonesian too well, R, who is 100% Indo-fucking-nesian was doing the asking and he couldn't make any sense of it.

R says he needs to eat soon cos he's gotta prepare for his gig later at the club so we settle for one of the nearby restaurants. He tells me to pick one so I choose a quaint little one that looks like they serve decent food. We sit down, slightly disappointed and I flip through the menu and fuck me.. there's a section titled "Snake". How fucking lucky is that?!

Anyway, I get the king cobra steak with akra - this really funky local liqour which tastes like tequila. Don't know why they call it a steak cos it comes in like little pieces. Anyway, it's pretty good. And since the restaurant's so far away, I figure that I should just pig out so when I'm done, I get another order of stir fried cobra in sweet sauce. Damn good as well. Now my heart is pounding as I'm typing this cos of the snake.

The Indons believe that snake meat enhances your sexual prowess. R says when I do morning glory tomorrow will shoot far far. Somemore I ate two portions. Note to self: don't turn on the ceiling fan tonight in case I forget tomorrow morning. Otherwise could get messy.

No comments: