Thursday, June 22, 2006

I Buy Bedsheets at the Mall

So the other day when I moved into the hostel they tell me that the hostel room does not come with bedsheets and if I want them I need to pay "bedsheet rental". What the fuck is that right? Maybe they want to charge for the toilet paper too?

Anyway, not wanting to be ripped off, I go to the neighbourhood mall to get myself some bedsheets. I go to the "home" section of the mall and there's this young salesman guy hovering like two feet away and won't go away. I barely lay my hand on one of the packages of bedsheets and he's like "oh let me help you". Relax dude, you're not going to get a tip even if you follow me home and make the fucking bed for me.

Since the manufacturers of the bedsheets have neglected to state on the packaging what size the bedsheets are, I say to the guy (in Indonesian mind you), "this one for single?" Blank look. Try again. "This one, for one person?" (emphasise on "one"). Blank look. Slightly embarassed smile. Repeat. "This one for single? For sleeping one person? You have bedcover for one person? Single?" Stupid smile, and then he says they don't have any.

So. This whole fucking departmental store only sells queen sized bedsheets. What the fuck man. Anyway, I take a closer look at the pack and it says that the bedsheet is 2m by 1m. Another one says 2m by 1.2m. Guess those must be the singles. So I pick out the least obiang one and pay for it at the cashier.

Then I think "waitaminute, I need a blanket too". So, against my better judgement, I mime tucking myself into bed under a blanket before going to bed and say "blanket" in loud slow tones. I get blank look and then embarassed smile, and then, "no. No blanket here." Right then, I look up at the top of the shelves and, whaddaya know! Blankets! Fucking idiot. Don't know what I'm saying just say don't know lah. This guy's sales strategy is "if you don't know what the customer is saying, just say you don't have it". No wonder the country is in poverty.

Anyway, the blankets were too expensive. The next morning, I went to hostel front desk and told them I'd rent the fucking bedcovers and blankets. Cheebye.

3 comments:

Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Hey, just remembered your SMS and decided to have a peep. lol. You ain't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy!

Want me to arrange for some stuff to be shipped up?

Thamos Liam said...

I am a dealer of this website and I must say that if you are looking for a swimming pool filtration plant then, this is the best place from where you can get these plants in different specifications as per your requirement.