Monday, August 21, 2006

Indonesian Toilets II

So when I first moved into my hostel, there was a handheld bidet in the bathroom. Basically its this hose with a spray gun attached to the end so that you can spray water at your ass after you've finished shitting. Ever the paranoid tenant, I don't use it on my ass but I do however use it to wash the toilet bowl from time to time. Anyway, its more appropriately called a bidet "gun" because the spray is like damn strong lah. So strong that it kinda atomises into a fine mist when it hits a solid surface. And I notice that the mist kinda smells like... well, shit.

So I had two hypotheses:

(i) There was some malfunction in the bidet system so the water that comes out of it is somehow of lower than average quality. I figured that maybe only the bidet guns in this particular hostel had this problem. The other possibility was more chilling...

(ii) The tap water in Jogja is naturally gross but you can only tell when it has been atomised into a fine mist and you can smell the shit smell. This was a more worrying since if all tap water was like that which came from my bidet gun, this would include the water which I use to shower/wash my face/rinse my mouth.

Anyway, after smelling the water from my tap very very carefully, I found no trace of the shit smell so I happily put the second possibility out of my mind and just never ever used the bidet gun again.

But now that I've moved into the apartment, I notice that water from the bidet gun smells the same! And this time the bidet gun is not that strong so the water is doesn't get turned into a mist but I still smell the shit smell leh.

So I've come up with a third theory which is that they use some kinda industrial water to flush toilets with and this is somehow tapped into the bidet guns. So, if anyone were foolish enough to use the bidet guns for their true intended purpose, they would be cleaning their asses with industrial water. Remember industrial water? Last time my social studies teacher told me that factories in Jurong always have a faint smell of shit because they use industrial water to cool the machinery. Industrial water is like processed sewage but it is only fit for machines because machines don't drink the water. But the fact that it smells like shit means that there's still a bit of the ole sewage in the water.

I think there's no way to solve the mystery but to ask the friendly folks at my school again. Though I'm not sure if I should lest they think I have some shit fetish. And anyway, I don't think I could take it if they told me it was actually hypothesis (ii) above.

I need to get out of this place soon man.

1 comment:

Fucking BS said...

how do i get rid of these fuckers?!